Are you a stay at home parent looking to work from home? Or maybe you want to leave the 9-5 rat race and run your business from the comfort of your home. Whether you’re a college student or a retiree, there are home based businesses for people of any age, with the ability to earn your financial freedom.
A home based business can start being a part-time job to just supplement your income, or it could easily turn full time to replace your “other” job. Personally, I started my home based business to help towards our retirement. With a desire to travel, my choice was an easy one for me. What would you like to do? What are your skills or expertise?
Working from home offers freedom, flexibility, and independence. It can also offer you great tax breaks depending on where you live. In a hurry? Click here to see what my choice is….
If you’re looking to “get rick quick”, or “make money while you sleep”, this isn’t the place for you. Any successful home based business takes work and dedication. Let’s take a look at some ideas.
At Home Business Ideas
- Cleaning Services – there will always be a demand for this business. Especially as the aging population continues to grow. This is home based business that gets you out of the house.
- Daycare Business – I would say this business requires not only the love of, but patience with children. If this is you, there are many working parents out there looking for this type of service.
- In Home Beauty Services – do you have specialized training for hair, nails, massage, etc. If so, an investment in the proper tools, and a cozy corner of your home, could turn this into a profitable business for you.
- Sewing Services – if you’re a skilled seamstress and have a love for all things’ fabric, this is for you. The only problem here is low pay for many hours of work. I know… I’ve tried this! So unless you can convince people you’re worth more than they’re willing to pay, you’ll never get rich. It was fun though!
- Handy-Man Services – another home based business that gets you out of the house. We all need a repair “person” once in a while, and there are many homes looking for seasonal yard and lawn work.
- Pet Products – there’s a growing trend towards pampering your pets. There are pet owners willing to spend considerable money on “organic”, freshly made pet food. And who can resist those personalized collars and beds for our furbabies. So if you love cooking or you’re very crafty, there’s an endless amount of things’ you could make and sell.
- Internet Business – this can include blogging, e-commerce, and affiliate marketing. This is my choice for a home based business. I am in complete control and can set my own hours. I don’t need any investment or inventory. I started for free and haven’t looked back.
How To Start Your Own Business Online
The most important step to starting your online business is learning how it’s done. I suppose if you had a lot of extra money to spend, you could hire someone to do the work for you. There are businesses that offer to build your website and get a certain amount of content up to get you started. But that defeats the purpose of starting for free.
Any business, whether online or a brick and mortar store, takes commitment and dedication. With some work and the proper education, you can get your business off the ground and producing an income all by yourself. I have to admit, it’s been very rewarding.
These are the basic steps to starting your business:
- The proper education. Without learning the proper techniques, you will get frustrated and want to quit. Knowledge equals success!
- Choose your passion or skill set. A successful online business offers value to its audience. This is the only way to develop trust with a potential customer. They come to you with questions and you help them find an answer. My passion is helping people find a way to become financially free.
- Build a website with your chosen domain name (business name). This is the vehicle you’re going to attract people. It’s not as scary as you think. These days, it’s actually quite easy.
- Write content for your website. Don’t worry, you don’t have to be a writer. Those that are often take the blogging route, but myself, I’m no writer. I just like to communicate with people the way I’d talk to them over a coffee.
- Choosing the right keywords to use in your posts. This means choosing words that a lot of other people haven’t. We want to show up on page one of a google search to reach the most people we can, right? To do this we have to use words in our titles that have very little competition.
- And finally, support. Lots of support!
Can I Learn All This On My Own?
Well, you could, but I’d be afraid you’d want to give up before getting very far, haha. There are definitely places online that can teach you all these things’ if you start researching. That’s how I started. It wasn’t long though before I felt overwhelmed with all the conflicting information I was reading.
Each site seemed to have their own opinion of how to teach someone new to online marketing. It’s not that they were wrong, but nothing flowed properly from one site to the next. It’s like talking to 5 different artists about learning how to paint. Each has their own techniques and skills, and their art all looks different in the end. (I use this analogy because I’m also an artist….lol)
I was fortunate enough to get pointed to the right learning platform. It’s called Wealthy Affiliate. I’ve written a more in depth review for you too!
And this is why I like them so much:
- they have step by step, easy to understand education. They offer two certification courses with so much more….
- they have their own website building platform that practically builds itself. In 30 seconds….no kidding!
- they have their own hosting platform to “park” your website and keep it safe
- they have a keyword research tool to find those perfect words with low competition
- they have an awesome writing tool with an abundance of free pictures you can access
- they have a live community support platform for quick response (often in seconds) to any questions you have
- they have over 1 million members around the globe so there’s always someone available to help
- the owners are Canadian……that’s for me, HaHa, I’m Canadian too!
And just so you can know I’m not exaggerating, here’s a video of Kyle building a website in 30 seconds….
My Final Thoughts
So what home based business opportunity is calling to you? I hope it’s the online business. I should also mention that wealthy affiliate has a free starter membership. With that membership, you get 2 free websites and access to phase 1 of the training. This is enough to get you up and running your own business.
They provide the best training on the worlds most powerful platform. They have all the tools you need under one roof, and a large community that I can’t speak highly enough of. The premium membership is only $49/month or $359/year (that’s a 40% savings). Anything comparable online is hundreds per month.
So why not give us a try? You have nothing to lose because it’s free! And you have everything to gain.
Do you have a home based business? If not, I look forward to helping you earn your financial freedom. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below.
And if you know of anyone who would benefit from this, please share.